Recipients are invited to Dare to take Kipling’s Questionnaire. See bottom of page for the questionnaire itself.
130 years ago in 1880/81 Rudyard Kipling completed the following questionnaire. Kipling subsequently moved to Brattleboro and Dummerston, living here from 1892 to 1896. At the time it is said that Kipling was known by more people in the world than was any other person. I would like to publish your own responses in Vermont Views Magazine to the very same questions Kipling answered. Please write your answers below the prompts, or write in for a fresh set of questions. Kipling’s own responses are in the Archive. Return the Questionnaire, if you dare! when it will be published online and then archived in Kipling's Vault! write to
Len Emery responds
MY NAME IS: Len Emery
AND I THINK
1. That Poetry: bores me but then I don't read enough of the stuff.
2. That my favorite poets are: photographers with cheap cameras but a great eye.
3. That History: is distorted whenever a human hand tries to record it.
4. That the greatest Historians are: the men and women that fought a war without telling anyone that they did.
5. That Fiction: is best written in the form of a politicians promise.
6. That the novelists I prefer are: making me think without trying.
7. That a country life: is valuable only if you can go to the city once in a awhile.
8. That a town life: meets my needs without having to drive my horse too hard to buy groceries.
9. That the greatest living Statesmen are: those that owe someone an apology and offer it.
10. That my favorite heroes and heroines are: those that you never hear about but see every day.
11. That Music: needs to be listened to, no matter how perverse or garish.
12. That the most delightful Composers are: here now.
13. That the Fine Arts are: fine but photography requires more more talent.
14. That the finest painters and sculptors are: born not made no matter what Cooper Union says.
15. That Reading: truly is fundamental
16. That my favorite books are: in my book case wanting to be re-read.
17. That Love: is a many splendored thing but divorce is never final.
18. That Marriage: is a commitment not a roll in the hay.
19. That Dress: is optional or at least it should be.
20. That my favorite pursuits are: at hand at all times.
21. That my favorite amusements are: what I happen to be doing at the moment.
22. That my favorite Flower is: out of season.
23. That my favorite Fruit is: also out of season.
24. That I would like my friends to be: just that an nothing more
25. That the wittiest Saying I know is: forgotten at the moment
26. That the finest passage of Poetry I know is: a song title.
MY NAME IS
AND I THINK
1. That Poetry
2. That my favorite poets are
3. That History
4. That the greatest Historians are
5. That Fiction
6. That the novelists I prefer are
7. That a country life
8. That a town life
9. That the greatest living Statesmen are
10. That my favorite heroes and heroines are
11. That Music
12. That the most delightful Composers are
13. That the Fine Arts are
14. That the finest painters and sculptors are
15. That Reading
16. That my favorite books are
17. That Love
18. That Marriage
19. That Dress
20. That my favorite pursuits are
21. That my favorite amusements are
22. That my favorite Flower is
23. That my favorite Fruit is
24. That I would like my friends to be
25. That the wittiest Saying I know is
26. That the finest passage of Poetry I know is